In years gone by, there’d often be chain mails with quizzes asking you about yourself. Those don’t seem very common anymore (or maybe nobody cares enough to send them to me 😉 ), but The Sunshine Blogger Award seems to be a blogosphere version of it.
The rules are:
- Thank the person/persons who nominated you in a blog post and link back to their blog.
- Answer the 11 questions sent by the person who nominated you.
- Nominate 11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo on your post and/or on your blog.
Thanks to Wasfeeya, who nominated me. Here are my answers:
- Why do you blog?
To share self-expressions with others, in the hope that they may benefit from it.
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
I don’t take credit for having achieved anything. Whatever I have achieved has been by the grace of the Almighty. And in many cases, with the extensive help of others. I would say performing Hajj would probably be the highlight – given the circumstances I found myself in halfway through it.
In terms of worldly stuff, one of the highlights (not really an achievement) would be receiving a letter of reply from Sir Alex Ferguson – back when I was an annoying, Manchester United-obsessed teenager. (I would send him faxes – believing that my input would influence his decisions in some way.)
- What do you believe is your personal mission on this earth?
To benefit others through my writing.
- What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
Can’t really remember. But two that stick out are:
“When you work for someone, work as if it were your own company – as if you were working for yourself.” (This alludes to excellence in doing your job)
“Don’t spend more than you earn.”
I can’t say I’ve consciously implemented either of those…but they are still good principles to strive for.
- What is your favourite quote?
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him):
The deeds most loved by Allah (are those) done regularly, even if they are small.”
- Where would you love to be right now?
On top of Table Mountain, with no time pressure to come down soon.
- What was the greatest challenge you’ve faced and overcame?
Talking to a girl I really liked.
- Are you left-brain or right-brain oriented?
I would think left, but the right side is in there sometimes.
- What is your dream destination and why?
Madinah (Saudi Arabia). Indescribable peace for the soul…the best place I’ve ever been.
As a second, though, Alberta province in Canada. Lake Louise is amazing, and driving through the province is just the most breath-taking journey you’ll ever take.
- Pick an all time favorite book that you think we should all read.
“The Road to Mecca” by Muhammad Asad. Wonderful writing, amazing imagery, and a captivating story of one man’s transformation. It’s also fascinating to read something from almost 100 years ago – which doesn’t come across as antiquated in its language.
- What piece of advice would you share as your last words before you pass away?
Try to live a life pleasing to your Creator. You’ll never be perfect, but it’s your intention and effort that counts…not the results. So, be honest with yourself, and just try to live with consciousness. You never know when your road ends.
To move forward with this, I nominate the following bloggers:
- Wasfeeya (I know…the rule said “new”…but it’s not really fair)
- Aaron (Muslisms)
- Muslimah (even though she’s done it recently)
And my questions are:
- Why did you start your blog, and does it still fulfill that purpose?
- What’s your favourite post of all time? (your own work, please)
- If you could meet 3 people – either living or dead – who would they be, and why?
- If you could change any event from your past, would you?
- How did you kick one of your bad habits? (be as vague or specific as you like)
- Name one cause / issue that you feel deserves much greater awareness in today’s world.
- If you had a month off – with absolutely no responsibilities – what would you do with your time?
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
- Where would be your ultimate place to live, and why??
- If you could be any animal, what would you be and why?
- When you’re dead and gone, what’s the one thing you’d want people to say about you or your life?